The City of Victoria Citizens Academy is a free, four-week program designed to help Victoria residents learn about their city government.
The course is a series of presentations, tours, and demonstrations by city departments. These presentations cover the basic departmental functions and goals and are followed by a question and answer session. A meal and drink will be provided at each session.
The 2022 Citizens Academy will be held from January 13 to February 3 on consecutive Thursday evenings 2-5 p.m. A full agenda for the 2021 program will be provided to accepted applicants.
Participants will also have an opportunity to attend a City Council meeting.
- Meet department heads and staff
- Learn how decisions are made, how city funds are allocated and how departments operate
- Enjoy comprehensive overviews of departments and programs and services
- Discover the current status and future plans for Victoria’s:
- Economic Development
- Emergency response services
- Environment / Keep Victoria Beautiful
- Public Works
- Victoria Main Street Program
- Parks & Recreation
- Tourism, and other important topics
- Participate in lively discussions
- Optional tours of city facilities
- Become an informed, involved citizen
Any residents interested in learning about city operations or who have expressed opinions about city services, operations or governing are invited to attend. We accept up to 20 citizens as academy participants.
We have begun accepting applications to participate in the 2022 academy. The deadline to apply is Dec. 16.
The academy is free to Victoria residents 21 years and older.
For More Information
Visit the Apply for Citizens Academy page, or call 361-485-3110 today for more information.